A Song for WWIII

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Ben on December 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFqoReof6A

After I watched this, I thought about how the suspense of such an unfortunate war seems more interesting than the event itself. Though personally, I don’t find the Cold War very interesting, I do think it would be immensely interesting to invent a story about pre-war drama with some kind of central principle, or key premise. It’s hard for me — being as unknowledgeable about the Cold War as some experts aren’t (haha) — to determine a good theme on the Cold War.

If you were to invent a fictional story involving a WWIII (which actually happens after the story), what kind of theme would you approach from? I’m trying to envision some kind of story for this. Thanks. I think it will be interesting, and I can’t wait to see if other people will have some creative thoughts on this idea.

Mark DeMaria on December 29, 2012 at 10:18 am

If you think about it, every war has a pre-war tension period. Revolutionary War, Civil War, World War I, II, Korea, Vietnam etc etc (I know those are only US Wars, but I guess we could include the great Emu War of 1932) (Yes, that’s a real war…)

But every war has its pre-war drama, and every single one revolves around the tense, chest-tightening, electrified-air-before-a-storm type feeling. So I’d imagine the central premise would be something along the lines of:
1) How the war will change the status quo (Society, relationships, etc)
2) How tiny we are/unprepared we are for a war
3) Reasons for the war (Preventing one?)
etc etc.

Ben on December 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

“But every war has its pre-war drama, and every single one revolves around the tense, chest-tightening, electrified-air-before-a-storm type feeling.”

I disagree. Not every war. Some wars have less expected but very obnoxious declarations. Yet, regarding the declaration of nuclear warfare, I suspect it would be chronically anticipatable, but almost unpredictable. In this case, the loudest declaration could only be the act of war itself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.