An Important Note About Licenses

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
J.J. Petty on January 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

In my experiences with the ever vast interwebs, I have found that licensing has become just as confusing as Ross and Rachel’s relationship statuses. So, I thought it best to post a note about the many licenses that are out there, what you can and can’t do with them, and where you can find content with those kinds of licenses. Because the last thing anyone wants is a request from a song-owner for a $2k dollars or that they’ll sue for more…

Firstly, I want to talk about the newly popular-ish CC licenses. The CC has been both a blessing and a danger since its first appearance. Many people believe that once they see the “hey, my music is free under CC” quote that they can just throw the music in willy-nilly. Sadly, this isn’t the case. You have to pay close attention to which CC license it’s actually under. Almost all the CC licenses – first off – require that you attribute the original artist (marked by BY). This means that it’s free as long as you give credit where credit is due. Some CC licenses carry a Share Alike policy. Basically, this means that whatever you create on their creation must be under the same license (marked by SA). Next pitfall is the No-Derivatives and Non-Commercial policies. No-Derivs states that their work must be unchanged and left entirely intact (marked by ND). Non-Commercial is exactly what it sounds like, you can’t make money using their creations (aka, don’t use this for your YouTube partnership or on a contest where you’ll make money), this is the most easily missed and costly policy, so keep your eye out (marked by NC).

This information – if found confusing, or too long – is neatly summed up on the CC website:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

Stay tuned! More to come!

Ben on February 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm

“Almost all the CC licenses – first off – require that you attribute the original artist (marked by BY)”

No biggy. =D
Your information is very helpful. Really, thank you for sharing your thorough and sharp understanding!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.