Best Writing Software

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 5, 2012 at 4:07 am

Some might argue that there isn’t a “best Writing software”.
however, in all of my searching i’ve narrowed it down to two softwares that you might enjoy, and that have really helped me.

The first one is Celtx. it is completely free for the non pro membership version.
there is a tutorial on that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmw2UM0zm8w
I personal would still be writing in it if not for the next one. it has a great layout, with the ability to do character development sheets from inside the program, along with actor sheets. schedules, storyboards, and way more!
all around a great program.
Cons: you have to email files back in forth if you are writing with a team or group of people.

the second one is Adobe story. this is also free for the non pro version: https://story.adobe.com/en-us/index.html
tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJJPJYBiOo&feature=plcp
also has a great interface, with a column for comments on particular parts of a script. and has script sharing as an option meaning, you dont have to email files back and forth, you can just make real time changes and your friends can see it immediately.
also with a schedule layout, character development is lacking (seeing as the template is blank) but thats okay because you can just import your own.
also multiple script types make it easy to add what you want to your projects and stay organized.
Cons: slow interface. sometimes very glitchy.
also lacking template design.

other options:
1. Final Draft: $250
2. Scripped: free
3. pages (screenplay or storyboard templates): free with most macs

Andy Ainsworth on May 6, 2012 at 3:34 am

Celtx is wonderful. We use this when writing the scripts for our shorts. It’s clean, comprehensive, and easy to use. It allows for painless formatting of actions, dialogue, description, scene headings, characters, and etc., all at the click of a . . . right click haha. If you’re looking to get into screenwriting, give it a try! Also, if you’re a writer (not of scripts) don’t be afraid to branch out and try new things. You might find that you actually enjoy it more.

Marshall Maldonado on May 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I also use Celtx its Great and easy!

Jared Charles Choate on May 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I use Adobe Story. I think it’s great. I have no idea if I have the Pro or free though. I didn’t even know I had it. It just kind of appeared one day and I decided to check it out. I use it for everything now.

Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 28, 2012 at 12:20 pm

you have free unless you are paying $15 a month for pro.
yeah its pretty amazing! i love being able to share projects with friends

Phlume on July 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I’ve had great success at using the program yWriter from spacejock software (http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html) as it helps you with a very simple interface to break apart your story into scenes, chapters, characters, back story… you name it , its there. And the cool thing is, as it organizes the project for you, it writes everything to text files that you can email easily, manage externally in notepad or compile into word if you want.

And then there always is word.

Dalton Morrison on July 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I use Celtx and I do so because of the app for iPhone/iPod. It makes sharing and backing up my ideas very quick and easy. I started out using Word and my oh my, was I incorrectly formatting things. Celtx has really helped give me a better understanding of how things should/could be formatted compared to me just guessing on a word document.

O'Ryan McEntire on July 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I am loving Adobe Story right now. I love that I can collaborate super easily with it.

Ken Dickerman on December 6, 2012 at 11:36 am

For anyone looking for a mobile way to write scripts, I use Fade In. It’s a free app for the iphone. Most of the stuff I come up with is not when i’m sitting down at my desk trying to think of things to write about, its when i’m out and about, at work, or right as i’m about to fall asleep! It breaks everything down for you from Scene Heading to Transitions, Dialogue, Shots, etc. You can also save lists, like characters so you don’t have to keep tryping it in. When you’re done, if you need to pick it up later on your computer, just send it to Dropbox and continue where you left off!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.