Better Sound Quality w/o a Mic?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Jack Curtin on September 18, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Just recently, I got a Sony AVCHD camcorder and have been doing a ton of filming. The sound is excellent compared to other camcorders I’ve seen… or I guess heard, in this case. My drama teacher was going to let me have one of his mic attachments for a camera, but mine doesn’t appear to have anywhere to plug it in.
I’m definitely still learning the ropes of film, so any tips you guys have for getting better sound would be awesome. Thanks! :D

O'Ryan McEntire on September 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hmm, that’s a tuffy…
With out the ability to plug in a microphone directly to your camera the only thing you can do for better audio is to take care to choose your shots/locations wisely. Some locations may be unconducive to good audio with only the basics; Busy streets, windy hilltops, bathrooms, machinery…etc.

These locations tend to be troublesome even if you do have a external mic.

The other option is to invest in an external audio recorder. This will allow you to place a mic exactly where you need it.

Jack Curtin on September 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yeah, most of the shots I’ve taken have been limited due to audio, which hasn’t been ideal. But I’m sure with more experience, I’ll find ways to make it work.

Now, if I do go the external audio recorder route, how would that work? Would I record the audio, then sync it to the video during editing? Or is it something else?

Also, thanks for the help!

O'Ryan McEntire on September 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That’s pretty much exactly what you would do.
It helps to have a dedicated person responsible for audio at that point. But so long as you are starting new clips for both video and audio around the same time and have someone call out the scene and take. Then it should be easy enough to synch up the audio while editing. Still a pain, but that is how most large productions are done. So it couldn’t hurt to be familiar with that workflow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.