Comedy or Drama

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Anthony Harrington on May 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hey guys, my friends and I are planning on doing some filming this summer to get a feel for where I am as an aspiring director. I was curious as to if you guys feel its easier and more fun to get a drama going or a comedy? I have a feeling that there is more freedom in creativity with the comedy, but I don’t want my cast to get too out of hand. Suggestions for something fun and semi easy to do over the summer to get some experience filming? Keep in mind that I have a very limited budget.

Timothy Monbleau on May 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I would suggest comedy, or at the very least something on the lighthearted side. If your friends are anything like mine, it can be difficult to coordinate a group of people that are familiar with each other to try to get into a serious mode when on camera. Giving them some moments to act out a little can help keep everyone interested and enthusiastic about the project. I also imagine that comedy would fit a limited budget better as well, as it’s a bit easier to embrace zero budget (perhaps even B-movie) absurdity as opposed to a drama that might benefit from more of a production.

That said, my favorite stories are the ones that blend both comedy and drama, and if you’re feeling out your own style, why not do a little of both? Even if you find that your crew is doing better in one genre over the other, it’s at least a good learning experience to find out what type of writing/directing you’re most comfortable with. So while I suggest something lighthearted, just doing what you feel more comfortable with will ultimately benefit you more. Finding what works best for you involves trying out a lot of different styles and seeing which ones fit the best, so just pick a place to start and run from there!

Anthony Harrington on May 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Thanks. :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.