Conspiracy Film with 1960's Feel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
TeeJay Wood on February 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I’m creating a short film that’s a sort of government conspiracy drama, but I want it to have a cool 1960′s retro feel, any tips on how I could create that with lighting and post-production techniques? I would also take any advice you have on 1960′s costuming.

O'Ryan McEntire on March 10, 2013 at 5:10 am

The best advice I could give is to study films from the time.

Also, films of that time either had a very gritty dirty vibe or were very smooth and creamy.

Decide what the feel of your film is going to be and then find films of the era that are similar and pick them apart.

Off the top of my head, a few things would be:
- Longer sustained shots. Very few edits, and any that were made were slow.
- Text and titles were often laid over footage manually, so they tended to have a bit of shake different from the original footage. Or they were over black.
- Color film was silver based and the process to develop it often left a lot of magenta/pink undertones in the shadows. This gets more noticeable as the film ages. Which affects modern people’s perception of the era.
- lighting rigs were often relatively simple and very soft, but not always.

TeeJay Wood on March 28, 2015 at 5:26 am

Thanks a bunch for the advice! The project was actually on hiatus for a bit but I’m getting back into it gradually. Over the last year I’ve definitely gained more knowledge about color correction which helps a lot in getting that “era-vibe”. Thanks again for the support O’Ryan!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.