Feature Requests?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
O'Ryan McEntire on May 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Got something you’d like to see on Filmpunch.org?
Let us know here.

Dylan Armstrong on May 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I noticed that there is’t an off-topic section after looking at the categories, and it’s something I usually find when looking at forums. Besides helping each other become the best film-makers that we can be, it might also be good to have a section for casual discussion to be able to grow together as a fun community (not that the current selections completely fail to to do that).

Austin Lindgren on May 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

One more idea request that I’d think would be a great addition would be a forum for individuals to offer services. For example, I’m a music producer, and I think it’d be cool if I could advertise my services to a looking director.

Josiah Clark on May 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

It would be awesome if profiles could have a ‘portfolio’ section of some kind, where we can embed videos we’ve made that we are most proud of, or that we are most focused on for the moment. To keep such a section under control could be as simple as limiting each person to 4 or 5 embedded videos at a time. Additionally, the option to post personal blogs would be a great booster to the sense of community, where people can follow each others’ blog posts to see what’s going on with them lately, and what projects they are focusing on at the moment.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

@Austin and @Josiah, Great suggestions! We are actually working on both of those things, and are features we plan on releasing in the near future.

Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 6, 2012 at 4:08 am

I love all these ideas!
i think it would maybe be a good thing to add a friend, follow, or contact function, so users can stay involved with each other. i understand this could prove to be an issue.
however, i think it would be beneficial to be able to find specific people.

(for instance if someone wanted to get Austins services with audio design.) just look him up in your contact list, and message him!

just a thought!

O'Ryan McEntire on May 6, 2012 at 5:29 am

@Connor, Yes! Contacts are already in the system. We turned them off for the beta just to finish working the kinks out. That is actually the main reason for the profiles in the first place. We want FP to be a place for people to connect as well. Especially for collaborations and such.

Currently it’s a pain to find anyone unless you see them in the forums or something. Along with the contacts feature there will be a searchable by interests members directory as well.

Andy Ainsworth on May 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

We want people to connect via a “Contacts” directory (function turned off right now) so that we can offer our services if need be and also to simply follow each other’s various projects. It’s our hope that this community will be reminiscent of Vimeo’s approach to social networking, which is more professionally and critically based, as opposed to Facebook’s post everything and anything M.O.

@Josiah, it is now possible to add Vimeo, Youtube, and any other website you might want to link on your profile. And like, O’Ryan said, the capabilities to embed your personal work vids is being worked on. It’s gonna be sa-weet!

Also, to everyone, take note that under your interests in your profile editor, down at the bottom there are now check boxes to select your interests, which makes it a little easier. And “Screen writing” was reworded to simply “Writing” so as to be more encompassing to all our storytellers, even the ones that don’t compose scripts.

Johnnie Kelley on May 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I think something that would be very cool is to have a space in the forum to discuss movies, not ones we’ve made, just ones we want to discuss.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

@Johnnie, We had discussed doing that, but we decided that in order to keep the forums focused, the best thing was to encourage everyone to break up what specifics they wanted to discuss about anything into the appropriate categories. So for instance if you loved the way a movie was shot – start a thread in the cinematography forum and perhaps we can nail down why that worked so well for that film and maybe even figure out a way for you to incorporate those ideas and processes in your next film.

But, we are certainly open to changing the way it’s set up if everyone feels that this way isn’t working.

Josiah Clark on May 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Another thought – a private, personal database for each user where we can see our forum post history. It’s a common forum feature, and would be very useful at times for us to have. I’ve ended up just scrolling through each forum to find out if there have been replies to some of my specific posts, because I’m not quite sure if I remember which forum I posted on. Being able to go to a “forum history” tab of some sort on my profile would allow me to see all my previous posts, making conversations easier to keep track of.

Andy Ainsworth on May 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

@Josiah, we are working on a feature similar to Vimeo’s user feed in which all your likes, comments, and posts (including forum posts) will be displayed on your profile. Soon very soon, we’ll have this feature active for all to enjoy.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm

@Josiah, Just adding to Andrew’s comment: your activity stream will be filterable as well. It will be on your profile page by default when you view your own profile and you will see a stream of things your connections are doing. You can then filter it to show only your activities. Hopefully this will help.

When another user views your profile they will see a few of the latest public things you have done on the site. (similar to facebook but more simplified like vimeo)

Josiah Clark on May 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Ah, makes a lot of sense! Also, a quick question that just came to mind- might there be a possibility in the future for members of the site to contribute to the site blog, tutorials, and other features that roll out? Obviously I’m sure there would be a process to ensure you’re not getting random trolls submitting content, but it’s an interesting idea.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yes, In the future we will have a submission process. Also by getting to know people here in the forums we hope to be able to recognize when someone has something to say that would benefit the community. In those cases we will probably approach those individuals and ask if they would be interested in doing a guest blog post or something.

We want Filmpunch to be user driven – to foster a community of people with ideas worth sharing. So whatever we can do to facilitate that, we are all for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.