Film Schools?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Matthew Pryor on December 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I don’t really know if this is the right part of the forums to put this, but i had a question about film schools. I know you don’t have to go to one to get good at film making. The thing is would you suggest going to one? Or would it be worth doing? Thanks.

Josh Bailey on January 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I went to school, wasn’t really a “film school”, but they had a film program (that developed a lot more at the end of my school time). School can be great. It can give you an opportunity to connect with other budding filmmakers, to have access to equipment you might not have access to, and to learn some helpful techniques and theory. However, I think the most important things you have to learn by actually experiencing them, making mistakes, trial and error. Remember you’re going to be investing a lot of time and a LOT of money going to school (think how much equipment you can buy with that money). Also, depending on you’re perspective, school can sometimes suck the fun out of filmmaking, when you’re assigned homework and get stuck with teammates you’d rather not be stuck with (although this teaches you how to work with all sorts of people). But personally, and I hate to admit it, I know I needed school, because I was kind of on the fence about whether I wanted to pursue film or not, and school sort of solidified that for me. I would say make the most of your time there if you do go. I feel like I wasted a lot of time until my senior year (also had a girlfriend most of the time until then…that took up a lot of time), but I really made my senior count and feel like I at least partially redeemed some lost time. My biggest experience was making my senior project film and I know that wouldn’t have happened outside of school because of the equipment I used, my school friends, the motivation to pour everything into my senior project, and the access to a crew made of interested film students. One more thing with school is that you can be taught a lot of things from one perspective, when it may be better to learn things yourself and form your own opinions, likes, and dislikes. Another in-between option, may be to research community colleges in your area that offers video production. Many of these will only give you the very basics, but I know of one in my area that some friends went to that was actually pretty great.

Bottomline: If you know you need it, go to school, but if you’re motivated enough, get equipment and learn things yourself.

• This reply was modified 1436 days ago by Avatar of Josh Bailey Josh Bailey.
Matthew Pryor on January 12, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Hey, thanks for the response! Right now I’m not really sure what i want to do. I’m 15 so I still have a few mores years till I actually do this stuff. I’m trying to set goals already though so i have a clear idea as to how my future is going to go. I most definitely want to go into independent film making though. As of now my plans are to get through college, and most likely go to a visual effects school. (Hopefully the Gnomon School of VFX), and then to move to Seattle and trying to start a little Sandwich shop. It might now sound like a very strong plan to most but it will come a little clearer as to what ill do as the years go on. Right now though film making has my interest, and it has had it since i was 10. So again, thanks for the response! It will help me make a choice as the time gets closer! :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.