Finding Talents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Matthew Torres on May 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

My friend and I have plans to continue making movies until we run out of ideas, but the problem is we keep limiting our writing because of a lack of actors and actresses. My friend and I are making a movie right now that only requires two male parts so we decided to act ourselves. The problem is finding people from my area who have different sizes and colors. Where I’m getting at is I need to know where should I start to let people know that I need actors and actresses. Where are the best places to look?

Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

post in college or high school bulletin boards.
or even just talk to the drama departement about getting students, most of them will be willing to help. and i’ve heard of kids getting drama credits for helping out, but i’m not sure of the validity there.
try looking up websites for actors, in your town, or even post something on craigs list

Zdenek Ruzicka on May 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Always a problem :/ To add to Connors post, I also try to add people on Facebook from the same area where I live with a simple message of a possible participation in a student film project etc. :) While some could call it a spam, it made me some awesome friends and it prove to be a valuable tool.

JUSTIN PHILLIPS on May 12, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hey Mat, Id like to add for i have similar issues with many of my own films and projects. I do the same thing, limiting my creativity in order to make do with the resources i have. I recently had a break through, one day I started listening to my friends, i kinda had this odd moment where i went into a dazed off day dream. And i started imagining what if i make characters out of my friends many different already somewhat strange personalities. And ever since when i start writing and developing an idea i write the part for that one particular friend of mine which in most cases since its them acting as themselves they are usually pretty willing to help out in being in a video especially when they see how i write a narrative around them that’s oddly interesting to there own sense of humor. So i guess what im saying, try writing your characters from your friends. Its a different strategy indeed but its helped me a lot in many cases.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That is a great suggestion Justin, not only do you then get people capable of playing those characters (because they already are those characters) but it’s a great writing challenge to write like that.

Generally when you are writing believable characters you need to both create and know that character first. Knowing what they would and wouldn’t do. Basing your story on someone you know forces you to think this way. Many of the greats base their characters on real people.

But, don’t be afraid to write a new characters. Once you start working with your friends a few may start standing out as actually having some acting talent. Start encouraging that and working with them in other roles. Perhaps even writing a role every now and again that is their opposite. You may be surprised what people can do once they are comfortable in front of a camera.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.