Good sound without selling my kidneys?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Mario Muniz on May 5, 2012 at 4:16 am

What are some ways that I can get acceptable sound without having to buy additional hardware? Me and my buddies have used cheap camcorders as mics for videos we’ve made in the past, but I’m interested in any other dirty tricks that you guys may have.

Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 5, 2012 at 4:20 am

If you are using a canon DSLR, download magic lantern and turn off automatic gain control. in a pinch it works wonders.
anywhere else, try getting a dead cat (a tiny one) that tapes into your camcorders mic, it’ll save you outdoors.
and shoot in smaller spaces, where there isn’t much, or any echo at all!

Mario Muniz on May 5, 2012 at 4:23 am

Hey, thanks for the tips! Though I haven’t had the pleasure of owning a DSLR with video capacity, I will keep Magic Lantern in mind, I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

Thanks for the dead cat tip as well!

Vince Garbarino on May 6, 2012 at 1:18 am

What are you currently using and what is it that you are trying to achieve?

Mario Muniz on May 6, 2012 at 2:17 am

I currently use my friends’ two iPhone 4Ss to film video and audio and use a Flip Ultra (non-HD) camcorder as a mic. Usually, I hide the Flip somewhere close to the person I’m filming so that I can capture more sound than with just the iPhone mics.

Besides the Flip, I do not own any video camera or microphone.

Right now, we are just shooting short films that are only a couple of minutes long. If you’re asking me what I want to achieve sound-wise, I just want to minimize the problems of filming without good mics enough so that they aren’t noticeable enough to distract the viewer.

• This reply was modified 1993 days ago by Avatar of Mario Muniz Mario Muniz.
  • This reply was modified 1993 days ago by Avatar of Mario Muniz Mario Muniz.
Vince Garbarino on May 6, 2012 at 3:42 am

Awesome! I am currently planning to do an iPhone short series filming with my..well, iPhone! haha Very interesting though! I’ve never seen/heard of anyone doing what you do. But I can surely recommend some different methods to give you a different point of view!

In previous films I’ve done, what we would do was just film the entire scene and then go home and use a mic of some sort (The mic from the camera) in a controlled environment. That way we wouldn’t have any background noise of someone moving around, wind or in our situation, workers in the background talking during a scene. If you like I can give more description on that method on how to match the audio, but the jest of it is to record in a controlled environment and then mix and match the audio do make it sound as organic as you can with the resources you have!
This was the last method I used.

Now if I read correct, you have two iPhones? Depending on how your filming, I would recommend using the second one by putting it on some sort of boom mic. Maybe you have built one? If you have one, find a way to strap it on there and record from there in a boom mic sort of style. The reason is because I believe the phone has a better mic quality. Just a suggestion. You can even do the above method if you don’t have a mic and use the phone in a controlled environment!
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money you could buy a mic attachment so you wont get all that movement noise from either of the devices you are using. I think I saw one for $20 at a store. You could try ebay as well.

But with your resources, you can diffidently use what you have at your disposal! It is all about how you approach it and plan it. Once you have that, your creativity will shine through the film and that is what makes it special. Your original creativity is what makes your film intriguing! I see films and wonder how they did what they did. Once I find out what they did, I appreciate them so much more because of how they used their resources!

I hope you found some of this useful! Just trying to help a fellow filmmaker out!

O'Ryan McEntire on May 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

If you have an iphone I just stumbled on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90FsGSTu1U

In theory this could work for non-apple devices as well. So long as you can figure out the wiring for the input.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

Also the Zoom H1 is also a pretty cost effective Audio recording device.
Zoom H1 Portable Digital Recorder

That would be way better and more reliable than an iphone…

Mario Muniz on May 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks to both of you! I have quite a few ideas to work with now.

And thank you Vince for that last paragraph. Super important stuff!

And thanks O’Ryan for the links! I’ll definitely be looking into the Zoom H1 for the future.

Vince Garbarino on May 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This might be good for you man! Its $40 but its not your kidney! :D

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-boom-mic/

This site has some other niffty things for the iPhone too!

http://photojojo.com/store/

Let me know what you think!

Mario Muniz on May 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I passed that on to my friend. It look pretty cool! Thanks mate.

Ken Dickerman on December 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I know it’s a little late in the game, but I’ve found a great app for iPhone that i’ve used for recording sound. It’s called iTalk. Free app. I also bought a tripod mount from Belkin for $20. I’ll actually use the iphone on a tripod, legs extended, but closed and use that as a low budget boom mic. Seems to do the trick pretty well, so long as you’re filming shots that aren’t too far away (indoor footage, for instance). Another trick if you need recording for an interview or just need a more upfront sound of the person speaking, Just use the iTalk app, but have the subject wear the apple earbuds somewhere where it can’t be seen, but the built in mic on the earbuds is accessible to capture what they’re saying. it’s actually surprisingly good for a “no budget” option. I’ve also used my iphone for filming a music video i made. With the tripod, it looked just as good as some of the cameras out there that cost a couple hundred bucks! The Belkin tripod clip helps immensly. Its the best $20 you’ll ever spend and gives your iphone more versatility for not only audio, but video applications as well. Best of luck!

Mario Muniz on December 6, 2012 at 12:15 am

I wasn’t aware that they had tripod mounts for iPhones… certainly something to consider, especially for using it as a boom mic. Thanks mate!

Ken Dickerman on December 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Yeah, the mount is intended for video and photography, but it works really well if you need it for audio applications. Best of luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.