Great video essay on The Dark Knight

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Alex Coulombe on September 12, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love Christopher Nolan, but there are some excellent points in here about poor film making decisions:

https://vimeo.com/28792404#at=0

Zdenek Ruzicka on September 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hey Alex,

great video! Made me think. Thanks for posting!

Steve

Alex Coulombe on September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

Glad you liked it Steve! It’s a lot of stuff that I’ve never bothered to consciously think about, but it’s amazing how basic a lot of that is… like keep everything moving in the same direction visually on screen.

J.J. Petty on September 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I liked how he pointed out all the major and minor errors. However, as wrong as it sounds sometimes, media is an art…Not a science. People – I believe – become too dead set on some rules that they can’t realize the stylistic option that people like Nolan can take. Now, that’s not to say every shot in the Dark Knight was perfect, but a few of the things that are pointed out, to me at least, seem to be stylistic choices he made, as well as shots (mainly about direction of movement) that make sense to me, that didn’t to him.

Again – and I say this a lot – I’m no expert, I just have an opinion.

Great find nonetheless! I enjoyed the video’s picks. Especially the shot about the van going into the river the wrong way…That – I agreed with – bugged me the first time I watched the movie.

Zdenek Ruzicka on September 13, 2012 at 4:41 am

@J.J. Petty – Exactly my thoughts about the Van. The rest I, to be absolutely honest, didn’t notice during the film.

I love how the last two days were about motion and cuts on the filmpunch, sense of community <3

Ben on September 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, this is great!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.