light kits – what are you working with?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Jesse on July 7, 2013 at 5:07 am

In the fall I’ll be working on an independent film as the DP. I’m currently researching lighting and looking at a number of different lights and kits. But before I make any sort of purchase, I was just curious about what sort of gear all yal are working with? Anything crazy? flouresent or tungsten bulbs? Or are we (myself included) mostly still using desk lamps and flood lights from home depot?

Any responses would be very useful!

J.J. Petty on July 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Desk and bucket lamps…No budget. It’s how I roll…
(Personally, just as fun and useful)

O'Ryan McEntire on July 9, 2013 at 1:35 am

Lot’s and lots of clamp lights from Home Depot.
A couple 1000w Work lights.
I also bought one of those really cheap 3 piece softbox kits on ebay.

The clamp lights are great and cheap. The work lights are really harsh and orange. The softbox kit is nice but it’s cheap. The stands are flimsy and are already pretty much broken.

I’m really considering either building a set of Kino flos or buying a cheap set off ebay.

There are also some really cool Multi-color LED strips for underneath cars. They are water proof and come with a remote control to change the color. might be pretty handy. I’ve been thinking about building a set of lights around those too.

Josh Bailey on November 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m curious to see, has anyone used LED work lights? I came across some at Home Depot yesterday and tried to look examples up on YouTube but they were all very minor test videos, no real practical film examples. That might be a bad sign…haha.

Mike Santos on May 22, 2014 at 6:42 am

What a cool video….nice effectss……Good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNoEX2qow54

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.