Main Character

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Jared Charles Choate on June 11, 2012 at 1:08 am

So as I said before in one of my posts, I am writing a script. I decided to work on a script for a whole different video though. But the video is a prologue to my Gateway series. The Gateway series is about an alien invasion, and a government-bred superhuman who was created to stop the invasion. Just refer to my previous post- http://filmpunch.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-keep-it-going-and-interesting-when-ive-come-to-a-dead-end/ . But I cannot figure out who the main character is going to be. I want it to explain how the government came to decide to breed super-humans, the scientists that researched the breeding, the final super-human product, etc. I will show like government workers, a president of some sort, scientists, soldiers, super-humans, aliens, and probably a lot more. I literally just started making this so I just have a basic idea at the moment. I haven’t done any fine-tuning with the idea. I’m pretty much just scratching out the idea so I don’t forget, I just can’t get a main character!

Margaret Zimmerman on June 14, 2012 at 2:16 am

I’m not a seasoned professional or anything, but I have been writing stories for a while now. Firstly, this concept sounds really cool! This world you’re building sounds both exciting and interesting based on this post and your last one.
When thinking of your main character for this prequel, I’d start by thinking about what you want to convey based on how the actual Gateway series goes. What does the audience need to know to understand the series?
As you develop the idea, just keep in mind the main character’s perspective carries weight with the story.
If your only real goal with the prequel is to provide backstory, then create a character that will allow you to easily show what needs to be shown. Maybe a super human is the main character, so he/she has an experience of the aliens first hand out “in the field” so to speak. Or maybe the main character is a scientist. Would a scientist know more about the aliens then the super humans? Let the character serve the story in that sense.
If you want the character to be more prominent in the overall plot, then more thought might have to be put in. How does that person relates to the series’ two main characters and the world’s events?

Keep this stuff in mind, but first time around, always write straight from your brain unfiltered.
Let me know if this helped at all. Sorry if I’m just rambling. Keep working on the idea!

Jared Charles Choate on June 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

Wow. That actually helped a lot! Thanks! I’m still in thought about the character but that provided some good insight and I’ll keep that in mind when choosing a character.

Margaret Zimmerman on June 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

You’re very welcome! Glad I actually helped.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.