Microphones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Lane Carter on May 22, 2012 at 2:03 am

Any good knowledge out there on where to buy good but affordable shotgun microphones? I’m looking to buy one and was wondering if anyone has some good tips. $50-$80 would be the range I personally am looking for.

Zdenek Ruzicka on May 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hi lane,

I am by no means an expert on audio, but $50 – $80 is a bit low for a shotgun mic I’m afraid, if you’d like to reach a certain sound quality.

BUT

Check this one out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746730-REG/Nady_SGM_12_SGM_12_Shotgun_Electret_Condenser.html

It’s $30 and there are some customer reviews. I think with a bit of post-pro play ( denoiser etc. ) you should be able to get a nice sound quality for a price. I mean, $30 is quite cool :)

Hope I helped a bit! Let me/us know what you went for!

Lane Carter on May 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, I realize how low that is for a mic, but I don’t want to spend all of my money before I go to college. Mostly I just want something that is going to not capture too much background noise when recording dialogue. And I would definitely be doing post work on the audio. Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be looking into that.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 23, 2012 at 2:28 am

We actually own the NADY SGM-12 it is a great microphone for $30. It’s not the absolute best mic around, but for $30 it is awesome.

And with any mic it’s really in how you use it. Because this is a shotgun you need to use it the way it’s meant to be used or it’s not going to give you the results you’d expect.

take a gander here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQf9W1tx5A

Lane Carter on May 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful information to me. I think this microphone will be just fine for me. I mostly just want to be able to capture dialogue without much background noise and then mix in the rest of the sounds in post. This site is awesome. I love being able to ask a question and have several people be able to answer me with great information.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.