Minimalist Examples?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Jonathan Shank on August 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Is there a youtube channel that I can show my friends to inspire them that specializes in good shorts/videos shot with crappy camera’s, fx, audio, etc?

Just to show them that it’s possible no matter what you’re working with.

Zdenek Ruzicka on August 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Few days ago I’ve seen iPhone festival winner somewhere around, gimme a sec!

http://filmpunch.org/i/the-fixer/

There you go, not to say iPhone camera’s crappy, but it should give them an idea that gear is just another tool, not the “need this to shoot this” thing.

This topic of convincing people that it’s not about the gear is so annoying already, good luck with that mate.

S

Jonathan Shank on August 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks for the reply! Though they do see this and say “Well they have really good audio and video fx software, so it makes up for the Camera.” Is there anything that just uses crap (and/or free) gear and software all around. Windows Movie Maker type stuff with no post sound.

J.J. Petty on August 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

So far, (and by no means is my stuff “great”) all I’ve done, I’ve done with free software and minimal gear. Just a lot of creativity. I’ve developed my own ADR process, muzzle flare process, and camera usage processes.

Jonathan Shank on August 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm

How complex is said process? Any chance I could demonstrate it for them? (PS I’m a bit of a noob, so I’m not sure what ADR is.) Also, any color grading software worth getting that’s free?

J.J. Petty on August 31, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Depends. It’s something you really got to get into the flow of doing, but can be done. Basically, if you want to go extremely low, I use a combination of Jahshaka, Windows Movie Maker, Audacity, and GIMP (All of which are free). Jahshaka can be used to edit the colors for your videos, add muzzle flares, and other extraneous effects, but doesn’t handle sound well at all! So, once the color is the way I want it, I pull it into Windows Movie Maker. Now, a big complaint I have here is the lack of extra audio or video tracks. So, to remedy the former, I strip the audio from the video and pull it into Audacity where I can mix sounds, music, and the raw audio, to my heart’s content. If I don’t feel like taking the time to run through Jahshaka, I can use the snapshot feature from WMM and GIMP to layer a muzzle flare and lighting effects on the snapshot, which can then be placed back into WMM for 0.3 duration (WMM’s closest measure of a frame).

Once that’s done, I pull it all back together into Windows Movie Maker, and VOILA!

That’s probably slightly vague and such (I’m not good at explaining things), but if you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask.

PS -
ADR is the process of replacing the voices caught on camera with those that are recorded and mastered separately on a microphone. A LOT of the dialogue you hear in movies is ADR’d.

PSS -
I might (eventually…) put up a video or two on my channel on how to do all those processes…

• This reply was modified 1815 days ago by Avatar of J.J. Petty J.J. Petty.
Jonathan Shank on September 1, 2012 at 8:47 am

I would definitely watch those videos, keep me updated!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.