Monsters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Gunner Willis on May 10, 2012 at 2:05 am

So i’m venturing out a little this summer by attempting to write/direct a monster movie. I’m not sure if anyone on here as any experience on this type of movie, but you’ve got any pointers about the subject I’d love to hear it. First time doing something of this caliber.

Jonah Teller on May 10, 2012 at 2:31 am

You’ll need to make the decision on whether your monster will be shot in real life or CGI. If you shoot your monster in real life (a prop, a costume, etc.) you’ll have so much less of a hassle in post production. However, make sure the monster is convincing — like it doesn’t look like a man in a costume!
CGI can also look great, if you know what you’re doing. (It can just as easily look terrible if not!) I’ve found it can be hard for actors to interact with essentially nothing while filming, and that doesn’t even compare to the frustrations and difficulties while actually creating the monster on the computer (there are shadows to worry about, reflections to freak over, keyframing of the monster’s steps and roars, timing everything right, compositing trees for the monster to walk behind, etc.)
Since this is your first time, I’d suggest working with a real puppet/costume. However, that’s just my suggestion. If you’re skilled in computer animation, or if you’re prepared to take a crack at it, take on CGI like a boss!

Gunner Willis on May 10, 2012 at 2:41 am

Thanx Jonah, Yea considering it being my first time I think I’ll stick with real life costume like you proposed haha still a long way away before i’ll be comfortable doing a CGI monster!

Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

also remember that a monster can be just as scary if it isnt shown!
take super 8 as an example. or, really anything, even Alien, you barely see the alien but its still scary!

O'Ryan McEntire on May 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm

That’s an excellent point Connor, Sometimes what isn’t seen is more terrifying than what is. The fact that you know something terrifying is lurking in the shadows just out of sight is a powerful tool.

That combined with budget issues and lack of skill is precisely why so many horror and SciFis are shot at night with minimal light.

precise lighting will also be key.

Will Jenkins on May 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Same principle as seen (or not seen) in JAWS. What better time to explore the technique then when you’re broke?.. er… excuse me “over-budget”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.