New Camera?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Jacob Willis on September 3, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hey guys, so my brother just took our camera to college and I don’t feel like going down there every time I wanna film. What do you think would be a really good camera for the money? I haven’t found a budget yet considering I just started saving up some money for it. The project I’m working on is scheduled to begin filming in late october-early November. It’s post-apocalyptic and I’m wanting a lot of close and blurred shots so something that will allow me to have a good DoF would be awesome.

Zdenek Ruzicka on September 6, 2012 at 6:09 am

Hi Jacob,

my first question is, what camera you used to work with? That in my opinion is quite a big thing when you’re about to film a bigger project – You’ll need 100% tech knowledge of your shiny device. Also, you might own some gear already that would work great with an X/Y/Z camera?

First thing that comes in my mind is “nifty-fifty” lens. That would, of course, require you to have a DSLR Camera. Kit Lens is awful, usable – but it’s a lot of pain to work with more seriously. 50mm f/1.8 would give you those close shots with desired DoF for a reasonable price.

Without any budget though, it’s hard to give you any kind of a more specific opinion. As I believe, we’re all mostly users of DSLRs and for a little while that will stay the same. With things like BMCC we can expect future to hold some interesting choices for us but for now, if you’re on a low budget, your choice is divided between just a few machines that will provide you with an array of lenses. One thing that I’d warn anyone thinking about buying a T2i for example is – expect to pay a lot more for the lenses than for the actual camera. That’s sort of a downside, but hey.

Filmpunch community seems to know what they’re doing, check some of the weekend challenges, for example – videos of @Jesse, his image quality is great and I believe he’s using T2i/550d.

I hope I helped in some way at least! If you’ll get more specific with budget etc., share it with us!:)

Have a great day Jacob!

Steve

Jacob Willis on September 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’ll have to check what type of camera I used to have. I never really paid much attention to it. Right now me and my friend(the one who’s writing/directing the movie with me) are thinking about a couple of cameras we saw. The nikon D5100 is a possibility. We found a refurbished one for about $550 and $200 for each lens. The other possibility is a Canon 60D which we found including a lens for about $1000. We’ve also been looking at the rebel cameras at a couple stores we found but we haven’t done much research about them yet. I’m also getting a tripod that I tried out and it seems to work really well. Oh and yeah I use DSLRs too, kinda forgot to mention that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.