Royalty and Licenses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Brandon Wills on September 13, 2012 at 2:58 am

Hey guys i was wondering what the rules are for licenses when it comes to things like, stock footage, music, fonts, even photoshop brushes. Anything that people have created and put out on the internet for other people to use. Ive noticed that some people say not for use to make money, but what if theres no money in it. Also, some say for personal use only, and some say just give credit to to author or creator and i was wondering how exactly to do that properly.
Thanks

Zdenek Ruzicka on September 13, 2012 at 5:01 am

Hi Brandon,

I think you answered your own question a bit there. When it comes to things that are royalty free you should follow common sense. If there’s “free as far as you’re not making profit” it pretty much sums it up. The artist is offering you his work and he made no money giving it to you, it’s in a good fashion that you’ll use it for others to see freely.

Then you have a Creative Commons license type.

“A Creative Commons license is one of several copyright licenses that allow the distribution of copyrighted works. A Creative Commons license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and even build upon a work that they have created. CC provides an author flexibility (for example, you might choose to allow only non-commercial uses of their own work) and protects the people who use/ redsitribute an authors work, so they don’t have to worry about copyright infringement, as long as they abide by the conditions the author has specified.”

About, “giving the credit” – You should mention them in the video somewhere, credits or at least in a description of some sort. If you can, if there’s any chance to contact the artist/author, do it! Remember that they are creating aswell! If your project speaks to them, they might even co-work with you and you’ll make something special.

Hope I helped you a bit,

BTW, did you guys notice how many “Wills” are around here, I smell conspiraceeeey!

Steve

Brandon Wills on September 15, 2012 at 9:00 pm

So for every texture i use i should give credit to whoever created each one? what if im making no money from it, a texture used in a background of a poster would still need to be credited? or a brush used in a custom texture also? Sorry I really dont get all this legal stuff lol. And Wills is an uncommon last name, ive never seen another where im from, im not too sure what you mean by conspiracy there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.