Shotgun Mic?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Jonathan Shank on June 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

In the blog about “your camera sucks” it says that the audience will never forgive bad audio. I have been saving up money for a little bit and have noticed that my audio quality is lacking. (I’m using a canon 60d to shoot) and was wondering what a decent “shotgun mic” as they called it would be to go with it. I’m looking to spend up to $150 max but would definitely prefer something cheaper if it still works.

Any tips on finding one or any suggestions of a specific one. (Sorry if I come off as noobish. I know I have an expensive camera and not enough experience to know what a shotgun mic is so that’s kind of frowned upon, but I still value the craft over the equipment.) He said gear and wanting gear isn’t bad as long as it doesn’t disable you, so I’ll ask, what should I look at?

Jonathan Shank on June 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Edit: $250 Max

Jesse Cornaglia on July 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm

You can never go wrong with the Rode videomic. It plugs directly into your camera, has a shoe mount so it can easily sit on top of your camera and my favorite part of the mic is the built-in shock-mount. I have been using it for a few years now and it does wonders for your sound for the price. You can get it on amazon for about $150.00 too.

Mark DeMaria on August 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The advantages of a shotgun mic get taken away if you plug directly into your camera, unless you use Magic Lantern.

All Canon cameras have this obnoxious feature called AGC. (Automatic Gain Control)
When it gets quiet, the camera automatically increases the gain, meaning it makes the mic more sensitive to noise and you get hissing because the noise floor is raised. When it gets loud, the gain goes down, so you get these jumps in noise levels. If you install magic lantern, it will disable AGC by default.

Jonathan Shank on August 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I hear magic lantern voids your warranty. Is that right? If so I’m going to shoot with what I have for the next year or two and then get it after my warranty is up.

O'Ryan McEntire on August 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Magic Lantern firmware will not invalidate your Canon Warranty as it’s not a hardware modification. All though the possibility that Canon could blame a hardware fault on any 3rd party customizations is still there, and there is no guarantee they wouldn’t.

But then again a Rhode video mic could be considered a third party customization…

We’ve used Magic Lantern on every one of our videos. We have not had any issues, in fact, it’s pretty awesome! If you install it on your camera, just be absolutely sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Zdenek Ruzicka on August 25, 2012 at 5:58 pm

OMG @O’Ryan stealing all my advice juice! This is war.

Jonathan Shank on September 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Would it be worth installing if you don’t have full control of the camera settings yet? I’m reading “Canon 60D for dummies” and just got past the exposure settings (So i actually know what aperture/iso/shutter speed are and what they do) and I’m moving into color and focus manipulation.

Would it be a better idea to wait until after I familiarize myself with the book to install it?

Jonathan Shank on September 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Also, is there an easier to understand install process? How do I know if my card is ‘bootable’ or has a working ‘autoexec.bin’ file and if it doesn’t how do I get it, etc etc

This seems confusing lol.

Jonathan Shank on September 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm

So after reading more about it I don’t understand like 70% of what the website is talking about and it says to wait until you’re familiar (months of use) with your camera before even considering using ML. I’ll come back to it when I’m more experienced for sure.

Zdenek Ruzicka on September 10, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hi Jonathan,

first of all, I’ve just read your profile and I can’t relate more. I’m 22 and I started cca. 6 months ago. I’m learning 4+ hrs a day on my own. I’ve spent my life-savings on a 550d basically and here I am. Fear of failure held me back and I just had to change my mindset. Just wanted to let you know, that you’re not alone in “I was afraid that it’s too late” :)

On to the topic! Looks like you’ve made your decision, it took me about a month to get friendly with everything around DSLRs, then I installed ML and man, it’s the best thing ever. Make sure to keep it in mind and switch as soon as you’re ready! You won’t regret it.

Other than that, seems like guys above already helped you :)

Have fun and keep on fighting, only the most dedicated will make it.

Steve

Jonathan Shank on September 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the reply, it’s always a motivational boost when you have people to relate to!

O'Ryan McEntire on September 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hey Jonathan and Steve,
I think we are all in the same boat! That’s one of the main motivations of starting FP for Andy and I. Fear of failure is something we all deal with, but not doing anything because we are afraid we might fail only guarantees that you will fail. Getting out there and pushing forward even if you suck at first, at worst means you will not suck as much as you did when you started. And the longer you push forward… the less you’ll suck at it… (I sense another “suck” blog post coming on… haha)

As far as installing ML on your camera: I would recommend that you learn everything about your camera first. How the shutter speed, frame rate, aperture, ISO, focal length, and DOF all effect your image. By learning those things you will come to better understand where your camera is lacking and how to use the new tools. If you’re not fluent with your camera right now adding ML to the mix will be slightly overwhelming and you might get lost in the mire of too many options.

As far as the install process, it’s actually super easy. But you have to follow the instructions to the letter.

Start here once you are ready:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install#get_the_right_camera_firmware_version

You must start with the correct original canon firmware for your specific camera. Or it won’t work. If anything goes wrong during the install and your camera becomes unresponsive. Turn it off and quickly remove the battery. Take out your card and turn it back on. It it boots up regular. you’re good. start over. if not… you didn’t follow the instructions. (So far No one has actually bricked their camera with ML yet, so you are relatively safe)

Mat Waterman on March 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Maybe if you’re wanting the characters to sound better, say, if their far from the camera, try wire mics that they can wear under clothes. They might be a little cheaper than u expect, but they’re sure not pocket change, if u know what i mean.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.