Slow-Mo With Anything?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Vince Garbarino on May 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hey, so I know this is kind of an obvious question that can be answered but I would like to hear it from any of you who could help me out with this.

Is there any way I can achieve a pretty good quality Slow-Mo effect with relatively any camera? And how would I go about doing so?

There have been a few videos I want to film where I want some dramatic slow motion going on and I don’t want to make it look clippy. I want something smooth.

Help me out anyone?

Thanks

Vince Garbarino

O'Ryan McEntire on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 am

Brandon is right, you’ll need a camera that can shoot high FPS.

In order to not make it look choppy you should attempt to keeps your shutter speed as close to the 180 degree as possible.

Basically if your shooting 60 frames per second you’ll want to start your shutter speed at 120 and with some testing work your way up until you find something acceptable. This will ensure that your motion blur is smooth but still sharp enough to look clear.

However you could always use a plugin like Twixtor and slow your footage down even further. If you plan to go the “faux-slow-mo” route you will actually want your shutter speed to be a a ton faster to lessen the motion blur as much as possible. Plugins like Twixtor work better when there is less blurring and less complexity in the background. twixtor does, however, tend to create artifacting which is the tell-tale sign of a faux-slo-mo shot.

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMoJ7jl4sw&feature=related

and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnYszQgieE&feature=fvwrel

Kiah Graham on May 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I’ve had the same type of thing happen to me. Really the only advice I can give you has already been said. Higher shutter speed, highest fps possible on your camera, and then just slow it down enough in post.

Andy Thies on July 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Another, more practical approach would be to try filming with the highest fps your camera can achieve, then have the actors actually move slower. This way, when you slow it down in post it will appear slower without being choppy. This can only work in some cases of course and you have to keep in mind the things in the shot that you can’t slow down like cars or things blowing in the wind, but if used properly you can achieve some awesome slow-mo shots without an expensive camera.

J.J. Petty on July 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

That’s true Andy…Forgot about that. I was wondering whether or not someone had already mentioned that while I was watching Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. They do a very similar technique for their slow-motion shots…

(Except they DO have an expensive camera…)

matthew on August 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

If you have Premiere or After Effects, try Time-Remapping and a plugin called Twixtor. Twixtor does cost money, but can really achieve a good clean slow motion effect if used correctly. Time-Remapping is basic slow motion, but if used correctly, can be very smooth and have a nice clean look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQD75Xtkf1g&feature=plcp

FreddieW explains Time-Remapping very well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.