Tascam DR-40 vs. H4n Zoom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Avatar of Connor Justice Norvell
Connor Justice Norvell on May 5, 2012 at 3:38 am

comparison between the two. (or any other external mics for that matter)

Connor Justice Norvell on May 5, 2012 at 3:41 am

I have used both the tascam DR-40 and H4n Zoom.
and honestly i don’t see why you should spend extra $$$ on the Zoom.
the tascam produces clean audio, plus phantom power for shotgun mics, or any other Phantom Powered microphone for that matter.
making it perfect, I’ve never had an issue, and with duel or 4 track record mode, its really easy to get clean vocals, for instance, with a shotgun, and then room noise with the built in mics.

i understand this was entirely specific to the two mics, so if you have any other external mics you’ve used that work better for the dollar, then post below.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 5, 2012 at 4:00 am

It’s been a little while since I’ve compared these two but I think the main difference was build quality. That and the controls on the Zoom are a little more intuitive.

As far as audio quality, the difference was very minor almost non-existant. I think the Zoom handled the highs slightly better. But it was negligible.

the biggest variable is going to be what ever you plug into these guys.
Both are great audio recorders.

Connor Justice Norvell on May 5, 2012 at 4:10 am

Thats very true.
also the one feature that i should point out (which wasn’t a deal breaker, but still a big deal)
is that the H4n Zoom, can be used as an external mic with your computer (direct plug)
and the Tascam DR-40 cannot (at least not yet, a firmware update with the feature should hopefully come out soon, if we’re lucky)
like i said, not a deal breaker, but for half the price, tascam was my choice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.