Tips and helps for the terrified beginner.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Joseph M. Gayoso on August 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Since I’m just getting into film, I realize I will probably be doing most of everything, or will at least need to be available to do practically anything. My problem is I don’t even know how to BEGIN the editing process besides going through the painfully work of replicating jump cuts like those I’ve seen on vlogs. What would explain to someone who is new to less adventurous side of film?

Mark DeMaria on August 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Well, organizing is always half the battle of editing. Organize your clips into a project folder. I use Sony Vegas, so I have a Sony Vegas folder inside of My Documents, then I break it down into projects. So let’s say my film is called “Film X.” I’ll make a folder called “Film X” and create a few subfolders. “Source Footage,” “Transcoded Footage,” (Only necessary if you transcode…), “Draft Renders” if you render drafts, “Source Audio” if you use a separate system, and so on. Inside of “Source Footage” I organize by scene.

Once everything is organized, write down which takes are good and which takes are bad. This way, you only drag the good/usable takes into the timeline. Helps keep your Media Bin free of clutter and crap.

Depending on whether you need to sync your separate audio clips to your video, do that next.

Then it’s just…editing really.

After editing, I like to do audio. I usually have about 6-10 tracks for just audio by the end of it all, since I love doing sound design.

I do color correction/color grading last.

Hope this helps. :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.