What's Your Favorite Book or Movie?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Andy Ainsworth on May 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Explain the plot briefly for those of us who may be unfamiliar with the story, and give a few reasons why it affected you.

Caleb Davies on May 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Easy. I love Lord of the Rings in both book and movie form, but for different reasons. So the plot, reduced to a minimum, is this: A midget-sized teenager ventures from his house at the command of a grandfatherly old friend of the family’s. The teenager has to stop an evil overlord from dominating the continent by dumping a ring his life-force is tied to into an everlasting volcano. Along the way, they pick up some friends of his, a dwarf, and an elf, and a mysterious man. Oh, and another guy. He dies, though, so I didn’t get attached. After a gruelingly long distance, they make it to the volcano and dump it in. Then they go home.
The book affected me the most because of the rich scenery and the care I felt for the characters, which tied all my heartstrings firmly to the story. I loved the movie because I felt it portrayed the characters and story appropriately without destroying the characters I loved, and still kept the plotline fresh enough for me to want to watch it 20+ times. That, and the extended version had more than enough behind-the-scenes specials than I could hold.

O'Ryan McEntire on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm

@Caleb, Bahaha! That has to be the best / shortest synopsis for LOTR I have ever read…

Zdenek Ruzicka on May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm

@Caleb :D :D Amazing. Loved “He dies, though, so I didn’t get attached.”

I have no idea what film should be my number one. So many amazing ones.. I will have to go with one I enjoy for it’s aura – can’t really find a better word for it.

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

This quote sums it all up: “To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.”

Andy Ainsworth on May 9, 2012 at 6:31 am

Original Conan, eh? Very nice.

And @Caleb, great overview. LOTRs is actually one of the tops on my list too. Wonderful characters, timeless lessons of friendship, duty, and honor (in both the books and movies), and the music is amazing!

Kyle Culver on May 9, 2012 at 6:48 am

I did read the Hobbit, and absolutely loved it, but never continued on to LOTR trilogy. I’m a bit of a slow reader… lol.
For me, in recent days, I absolutely loved The Circle Trilogy by Ted DekKer. He added a fourth book to it which was brilliantly written into the plots of the first and last book of the trilogy. It’s totally mind boggling, which was one reason why I loved it so much. There are some books I simply can’t read because of the way it is written. This series was such a pleasing read. Nothing was drawn out too much, and I could feel what the hero felt. I still say and think to this day that I would love to be the one to create this trilogy into a film series.

But as far as movies go, I’m going to have to say “Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back”. Sequels are hard to make. Even harder to make them better than their predecessor. But this film surpassed everybody’s expectations and then some! It has everything a movie could possibly need. Action, love, humor, and some incredible cinematography and (at the time) cutting edge special effects! (ILM does it best!) I’m also a sucker for sci-fi action adventures with dramatic themes.

I also really enjoyed “Bladerunner”. The theatrical version. The feel of the film is so genuine. A lot of the exciting parts don’t even have music! There is just something about the atmosphere, the look, of the film that makes me keep going back to it. It’s haunting and so inspiring.

Dylan Armstrong on May 11, 2012 at 4:56 am

That’s a really tough question for me. One that comes off the top of the head is “Se7en” starring Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and Kevin Spacey.

“Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi.”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/

I just love that certain atmosphere that Fincher gives his films.

ben van holstyn on May 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Favorite book goes to “The Hobbit” Read it when i was the summer before i turned eight. I read it every summer until i was a sophmore in HS.

Favorite movie goes to “Remember the Titans”

“The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit.”

Gunner Willis on May 13, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Favorite Book is Enders Game, (I’m a fan of Sci-Fi so this is right at my level)
and Favorite movie(s) is the original Star Wars trilogy, childhood, nostalgia, I can’t help but fall more in love with it every time I watch it. I tend to pretend as if the prequel trilogy doesn’t even exist

Jared Charles Choate on May 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’m with Gunner here. Ender’s Game is my favorite. I like how it was Sci-Fi but it also had some deep plots. It made me think a lot. It also did a good job of describing things. I could imagine I was actually in the story. Synopsis: This kid is part of a group of military geniuses bred to save the world from giant insects. He gets sent off to this space station where he is put into teams and they can fly around in a 0-Gravity room shooting each other. Along the way, kids try and beat him up, but he always hits them in the groin and they die. He is eventually tricked by wiser people into saving the world.

Joey Nizich on May 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

All great movies and books, all classics, but my favourite book was the magician’s nephew which was the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia (Harper Collins order)
It was an amazing book as a kid because it just let my imagination run wild.

And my favourite movie is Evil Dead 2. group of friends go up to a cabin in the woods, find a book that brings the dead back to the living, main character cuts off his hand. And kicks ass with a chainsaw and saw-ed off shotgun. Hail to the King Baby!

Jonathon Keeler on June 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Lord of the Rings hands down. Both book and movie. But @Caleb already summed it up so… yea. haha

Margaret Zimmerman on June 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Studio Ghibli films. Specifically the ones directed by Hayao Miyazaki, i.e. Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke. Most anime is terrible (I know because I used to be a fan of it) but this stuff is the real deal. Beautiful animation, imagination, characters you genuinely care about, and meaningful plots. It has that heart that you can’t consciously put into a piece of art. It just comes from the making of the thing. Love. :D

Caleb Davies on June 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I guess I should include The Hobbit on my list as well. I read the Silmarillion, but it wasn’t one of my favorites until I started thinking about all the expansions to the Hobbit movie Peter Jackson could make using the additional content…Radagast the Red (or was it brown?) most certainly was not in the book….

Jacob Willis on August 15, 2012 at 12:16 am

My favorite book would also have to go to Ender’s Game. But they told already told the story. My favorite movie would have to go to Fight Club. I love the way Fincher delivers his story. It’s the type of movie that you can watch it the first time, freak out, then watch it again in total amazement. I also love every other David Fincher film.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.